Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 21:55:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Raistlin, Master of Past and Present" <raistln@ksu.edu>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (there wasn't any, but its an HP net printer problem)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> > > Try changing "rp=oak" above to "rp=lp". HP's embedded lpd emulates a host
> > > with a printer named lp attached. You can still call it oak locally.
> [...]
> >
> > Now I'm getting this error here:
> >
> > 	waiting for queue to be enabled on oak.ksu.ksu.edu
> >
> > Is my setup incorrect, or is it the printer that's the problem? lpc
> > show's the following:
> >
> > 	lp:
> > 	        queuing is enabled
> >         	printing is enabled
> >         	no entries
> >         	printer idle
> >
> > I'm not sure why it won't work...
>
> Hey, but you are making progress...
>
> You can ping the printer? The printer needs an IP address and netmask.
> That's usually the first thing I have to work thru when putting a new
> printer on the net that has its own ethernet port. HP's are nice enough
> that you can set the IP address and netmask with only 100 or so button
> pushes on the front panel. Tek printers require RARP/BOOTP, which is also
> available on the HP.
>
> Oh, and it should go without saying, make sure TCP/IP is enabled on the
> printer's ethernet port.
>
> If you can ping the thing, then telnet to it. And see what HP thinks its
> configuration is. If you can get that far, the clue to what is wrong is
> hidden somewhere on that setup page.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Actually, the printer can be printed to from other hosts, and I know that
they are doing it through TCP. I think I'll have to check and see if
there's a special name for the queue. I don't believe the printer has a
standard HP network card in it, so I may have to go another route. The
problem is that I'm alone on this setup, and I can't get a hold of any of
the manuals or setup for the printer. (Gotta love it when they hang you
out to dry...:)  ) Chances are that it's the network card that I'm
actually dealing with. If you've got any other ideas though, feel free to
send them.

Thanks for all your help :)

Chris

--