Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 10:32:50 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Jukka Huvinen <jhuvinen@cc.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking 4-stable rather than 4.8-stable

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

(...)

> So the "stable" packages are not build from a (nonexistent) RELENG_4 ports
> collection, they just represent a snapshot of the ports collection at a time
> where FreeBSD's RELENG_4 branch itself is -STABLE (as in uname -a output). As
> you can see in that ftp directory, this works in a similar fashion for
> 5.0-RELEASE vs. 5-CURRENT.

Ok. Now I understand this, finally. ;)

The reason why I would go for a little older package "snapshot", is that
those packages would be all available. Unfortunately, the current tree
does not have all ports available as packages.

But if I go to an older ports snaphot (e.g. using the time tag), those are
not available either as a complete collection of packages (except for
releases). A complete and recent snaphot of both tree and packages would
be nice...

So, just use the current and get what I can and the rest from sources.

Thanks for all replies!

--
Jukka