Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster problems (DMA?)

Sad to say, I was recently bitten by the mp3 bug and figured I'd (finally)
install a sound card in my home box so I could play some music while I
work.  Home box is a p166, 96 meg of ram, FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE.

I aquired a SoundBlaster 16 Pro PnP, made a new kernel with sb0 support,
installed the card and rebooted.  All appeared to be well.  The kernel
found the card:

sb0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>

CD playthrough works just fine, no problems there.  However, when I go to
play an mp3, it fails miserably.  The sound (if you can call it that) is
choppy, at best.  The kernel logs a number of these errors to
/var/log/messages:

Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

The mp3's in question are known good files, so that isn't the problem.  I
thought I might have to compile in pnp support (necessitating an upgrade
to 2.2.6) on my box to make the card work, but that seems not to be the
case.  Perhaps I got lucky.

At any rate, I'm trying to figure out what is wrong.  I'm guessing it is a
card config problem.  Any ideas?

Ben

--
Ben Hockenhull