Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 12:28:18 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>
Subject:   Re: Appropriate 100bt NIC for NFS

In the last episode (May 06), Nicole said:
> Hi Dan
>  I have a post that is similiar, except that I AM using the intel
> 10/100 cards.  The only way I could get my NFS mount to work under
> any sort of load was to use the mount hack of dropping the mtu size
> to under 1500.  The machines are PentII 333 with an Abit MB adaptec
> SCSI and 2 Nic cards.
>
>  Any clues as to what to look for to get rid of the hack would be
>  great.

Wow.  That was exactly the symptom I saw with the 3COM cards; when I
switched to the EE/Pros and the fxp driver, I was able to bump my NFS
blocksize to 32K.

Are you dropping packets on both NICs, or just one?  Make sure your
NICs and your switch agree on half/full duplex negotiating.  If one end
thinks it's full, and the other end thinks it's half, you might have
collisions that never get retransmitted.  Also, try moving the cards to
different slots in the MB.  I think the EE/Pro cards need busmastering
PCI slots (a pII/333 motherboard should have 100% busmastering slots,
but you never know).

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com