Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:47:27 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL build failure identified...

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
[ ... ]
> src/Makefile sets PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin before passing
> buildworld further to src/Makefile.inc1, so I don't see how that
> could be a problem.

Hmm.  OK.  :-)

> Similarly for zsh(1): make(1) uses sh(1) internally, and to make it
> use another shell, one needs to recompile make(1) with a different
> DEFSHELL.  In any case, this feature isn't even in RELENG_4.

To be more specific as to what I did; I enabled and "su - toor" in order
to pick up a clean /bin/sh environment.  The build failure was
completely reproducable after deleting /usr/src, /usr/obj, and
/etc/make.conf...then re-cvsup'ing.  More than once.

After doing a "pkg_delete openssl-mumble", I was able to move my
/etc/make.conf back in place and complete buildworld under zsh again.
Assuming I'm able to reproduce this problem again-- I'm going to have to
revert my /usr/ports, probably-- what information would be of value?

-Chuck