Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:53:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        fwang2@eos.ncsu.edu (Feiyi Wang)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with 2.1.5 R

> Hi, folks,
> I am new in FreeBSD, I am now in hurry to looking for FreeBSD 2.1.5
> Release, But It seems there is only 2.1.6 exist in all ftp sites.
> Also I am not clear what is relationship of 2.1.5 Release and stable
> version (even after FAQ) and how to install a stable one, the
> directory structure is quite different from 2.1.6 Release.

2.1.5-RELEASE was supposed to be the last release down the 2.1 tree,
but Jordan found some of what he termed "anoying" bugs in the
installation process and rolled a 2.1.6 in about November.  The -stable
SUP tree started with 2.1.6 and has any bug fixes or minor improvements
that are well tested (hence "stable").  When I first went against the
stable tree, it took me to 2.1.6.1-RELEASE.

Lately, there was a fairly large security hole uncovered in the POSIX
locale code.  The fix for that resulted in 2.1.7, which is what you'll
get running SUP against the -stable tree now.  (By the way, the 2.1.6
you find on the ftp mirror sites should be shot in the head by now).

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com