Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:01:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon1 <simon1@server.simon1.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Abit KX7-333

I was able to determine the following:

The Intel NICs on this system were very touchy about who/what
they were connected to. I've never had this happen before, but be
forewarned that if you're planning on hooking this board into a hub you
may have problems getting it to go at full speed. Crossover cables WOULD
work, the NIC wouldn't detect duplexing properly though.

No other card has had issues with my network setup at home before, so I'm
still at a loss. We used the realtek for the production setup, simply
because it WAS working with everything.

The RAID setup:

The manual I have for the RAID mentions putting the drives on separate
channels to get maximum performance. (Which I did). However, after an
exhausting night, I looked at the couple of pictures they had... which
clearly showed them on the /same/ controller.

Yep, you guessed it. Putting both drives on the same channel got
everything moving like it was supposed to. Never before had that problem,
but if anyone else has this board and is struggling with the RAID, put
both on the same controller and it will work just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone on with the Network
Cards/Raid Controller? Other boards (KT7A-R   ---  Wonderful board, never
had a problem with it) never had that issue, and it uses pretty much
identical chipsets.

The system is up, running, and installed. I'd still like to know what
happened to cause this mess though. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear
them.