Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:38:55 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        jfvogel@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Opteron system will not run SMP

> You say you can boot 'safe', can you boot with just ACPI disabled?

Not using an SMP kernel, no. I did another experiment though, I
installed amd64 onto an IDe drive, and that will boot SMP with
APCI disabled, but still only recognises a single processor.

> One suggestion, boot in SAFE or non-ACPI, then do a pciconf -l and
> look for pci devices that are unknown. At least that will give more
> evidence.

O.K, will give that a shot later this evening.

> Hard to say if its ACPI or PCI related. Uh, you did make sure you
> have the latest BIOS for your motherboard right?

Yup - first thing I did. I also asked if other people are using this, and
Soren apparently uses it (for amd64), so it preseumably does work!

-pete.