Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:21:43 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Session Menu" xdm/gdm problem

Mike Hunter wrote:
> On Jun 05 at 21:39, "Eric Schuele" wrote:
>
>> Mike Hunter wrote:
>>> Hey everybody,
>>>
>>> I'm having a frustrating X problem.  I installed X via portupgrade and
>>> hacked /etc/ttys to enable xdm.  I can log in successfully both as root
>>> and as a non-priv user, but either way I get to a screen that says:
>>>
>>> Session Menu
>>>
>>> Load Session # Delete Session # Break Lock # Default/Fail Safe # Cancel
>>>
>>> But if I disable xdm and simply use startx, it launches X and my window
>>> manager fine.  I tried deleting my .xinitrc but that didn't help.
>>>
>>> I have a feeling some X component isn't in place.  I tried compiling gdm
>>> as a replacement but that didn't help (same symptoms).  I was able to run
>>> gdmsetup (or was it gdmconfig?) by logging into gdm in fail-safe mode, and
>>> I could change some of the GDM settings, but I didn't see anything that I
>>> could twist to fix the problem.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE May 12
>>> xorg-6.9.0
>>>
>> For xdm:
>> copy your .xinitrc to .xsession and see if that helps.
>>
>> gdm:
>> is a bit more complicated.
>
> Thanks!  It did fix the xdm side and it did not (as you predicted) fix
> gdm.

NP.  Glad it fixed it.

> What am I missing?  What's supposed to be the difference between .xinitrc
> and .xsession?

The difference...  well...  for your intents and purposes, .xinitrc is
run via 'startx', while .xsession is used by xdm.  But that's not really
a good answer to the question.  Google will be your friend here.

> How would I fix it for gdm?

Try this:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-April/119887.html

--