Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:25:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   buildworld fail upgrading 4.0-R -> 4.4-PRE - xinstall/strtofflags

Hi,

I have a system which has sat idle at the back of a cupboard since
4.0-RELEASE onto which I have decided to install -STABLE from.  CVSupped
from cvsup2.uk last night (around midnight UTC), and again this morning
with same problem. Have read UPDATING, which does not mention this, and
followed the handbook instructions.

buildworld fails with:

mkdep -f .depend -a    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include  /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall; make _EXTRADEPEND
echo xinstall: /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
cc -O -pipe    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
cc -O -pipe    -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include   -static -o xinstall xinstall.o
xinstall.o: In function `main':
xinstall.o(.text+0x8f): undefined reference to `strtofflags'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gavin

--
"Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed."
                                                     -- Carolyn Scheppner