Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:51:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Mad Max Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD vs. Linux (was: a couple ?'s)

On Sunday, 21 February 1999 at  2:21:22 -0600, Michael Mad Max Maxwell wrote:
> God, I hate BSD vs. Linux questions...
>> 3) How does it compare to Linux in the field of stability and
>> reliability?
>
> My experience is that they are both very stable OS's and are quite
> reliable.  My Linux box at work has been up since it was installed
> without a single reboot over three months ago.  I've had my FreeBSD
> boxes up for just as long or longer, only having to reboot for some
> sort of maintenance (move the machine, whatever).
>
> However, BSD seems to excel when under a heavy load.  Linux doesn't
> quite measure up there...

For a long time, I've refused to answer this question due to lack of
reasonable evidence.  Now I've seen
http://advisor.gartner.com/n_inbox/hotcontent/hc_2121999_3.html, which
seems a reasonably careful analysis.  It shows that FreeBSD
outperforms Linux by about 50% in the areas which they have examined,
but for some reason comes to the conclusion that, though FreeBSD has
all the advantages, one should choose Linux.  In particular, they
write:

  FreeBSD UNIX-Advantages, Disadvantages

    FreeBSD UNIX has a similar story to Linux, but without the
    commercial aggregators of the code or the honor system that
    prevents commercial vendors from advancing the OS in unique
    ways. Thus, to base a product on FreeBSD eliminates the cost of
    the OS entirely. On the downside, though, there quickly becomes no
    such thing as standard FreeBSD. Every vendor ends up with a
    proprietary operating system based on FreeBSD, but not the
    identical OS. This is fine for the thin server vendor that wants
    to control the entire software layer, applications and all, but
    can be a burden and drawback to the vendor that wants to support
    commercial applications from other vendors. However, the key value
    in all successful thin servers will be the glue that creates an
    integrated, optimized system. This often calls for low-level
    changes to the OS, and exposing those changes to the competition,
    a la the Linux model, may not be in the best interest of the
    vendor.

I disagree with the statement " Every vendor ends up with a
proprietary operating system based on FreeBSD"   The fact is that
there *is* only one FreeBSD, whereas there are multiple versions of
Linux.  I'm not sure what the author was thinking of when he said
this.

Anyway, I haven't had enough time to analyze this report.  I'd be
interested in feedback from others on the subject.

Greg