Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:37:22 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Micropolis Runs Too HOT!

Hi all,

Just started using a Micropolis Tomahawk, 7200 rpm 4.5 gb
hard disk about a week ago. All was well until yesterday
when starting getting scb messages and system froze.
Killed system (no shutdown,turn power off) and when trying
to startup again, the scsi bios did not see the disk at
scsi id 0. Took case off and the disk was hot to very hot
to the touch. Cooled it off with a fan and turned air
conditioning on.

The long and short of it is now I am running my computer
with the case off and a fan blowing on the hard disk bay.
The hot mic is the bottom one in the bay. There is a drive
space before the next drive, also a Micropolis 2 gig, 5400
rpm drive (it runs cool).

Has anyone seen a problem like this and do you have any
suggestions. I have contacted the Micropolis web site but
have not heard anything back yet.

The warranty is like a catch 22: "If you run the disk too
hot, we will void your warranty" <Sigh>

Anyone, please

Tom