Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:19:40 -0400
From:      Neel Chauhan <neel@neelc.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interested in Wiki/Networking/Low Hanging Kernel Fruit: "Reject non-broadcast destinations passed to IP_ONESBCAST with a meaningful error"

I want to get into FreeBSD kernel development (I have been doing Ports
for over 3.5 years), and have an interest in TCP/IP networking. I am
looking at the "Low hanging kernel fruit" section of the Wiki entry for
Networking (https://wiki.freebsd.org/Networking), and this entry seems
interesting:

> Reject non-broadcast destinations passed to IP_ONESBCAST with a
> meaningful error.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this task suitable for a FreeBSD kernel development beginner?
2. Should I modify ip_output() in sys/netinet/ip_output.c?
ip_ctloutput()?
3. To check for a broadcast address, would in_ifaddr_broadcast() be
okay?

Thank You,

Neel Chauhan

===