Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:49:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PNPBIOS and atkbd

> Since someone clued me in about using the PNPBIOS option to automate
> some isa resource allocations I have been experimenting with it. I've
> managed to remove most of the irq stuff from my kernel configuration
> file, apart from a few culprits. The main one is the keyboard and
> mouse. The minimum working config I have found is:
> 	device		atkbdc
> 	device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1
> 	device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12
> If I remove the irq statements the kernel panics when probing the
> keyboard "nexus_setup_intr: NULL irq resource!" which is a bit of a
> shame. IWBNI the driver could get that information from PNP. Hmm, but
> the PNP probe messages don't seem to have the necessary information.
>
> The other annoyance is that I have to tell vga and syscons to find
> themselves on the ISA bus. Does PNP not inform the OS about them
> either?

It does, actually.  The problem is that the early console attach happens
long before we start paying attention to this information.  The problem
is reasonably well understood - the "correct" solution hasn't quite made
itself known yet.  (It probably involves some extra access methods to the
PnP information, so consider this "something that will eventually be
fixed".)