Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:47:44 +0100
From:      Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it possible to delay the root mount?

Hello,

I'm having some problems when booting from a USB memstick and mounting
root from a /dev/label partition on said memstick.

I am using 8.2-RELEASE.

I get the usual "Root mount waiting for: usbXX" message when booting but
most of the time when the kernel is done waiting the /dev/label
partition has not yet been detected and the root mount then fails.

It seems to depend on the timing of the USB discovery. I plugged in a
USB keyboard to be able to enter the correct device at the mountroot
prompt and that changed the timing in a way that made the root mount
succeed...

Is there a way to make the root mount wait for a specific device like
/dev/label/myroot?

Even a statically configured sleep before mounting root would solve my
problem. If there is an easy way to patch such a thing into the kernel I
would be happy. A tunable would of course be event better.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.

By the way, the box I'm working with is documented a little bit here:
http://borderworlds.dk/~xi/BRIK/

--
Christian Laursen