Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:44:41 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        "Chris Lavin" <chrisl@bbs.justcompute.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wierdo situation!!

--------

"Chris Lavin" uttered with conviction:
>I am trying to do something Kinda weird!!!!!! I am basically trying to use
>four modems on my BSD machine as basically com server ports. I want the
>BSSD machine to answer the modem establish a connection then automatically
>telnet the user to aremote system. I DON'T want it to ask for a login or
>ever show a login prompt!! Anyone have any ideas?

 Sure... however insecure it may be....

 you can replace the
 ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

in /etc/ttys with

ttyd1	"/usr/bin/telnet {othermachine}" unknown on secure

 They _WILL_ see a login from the other machine... and the security
implications of using a rsh to accomplish this as init runs as root are tooo
scary.

 -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?