Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 20:40:17 -0500
From:      garman@jason.garman.net (Jason Garman)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CMD640b ide controller bug workarounds?

Does anyone have one of these lame ide controllers?  These things, in
addition to having the rz1000 flaws, also freeze the machine when both ide
channels are accessed on the machine.  Is there any chance for a
workaround in the FreeBSD wdc driver?  I have a nice 2 gig drive sitting
here spinning its heads for nothing :-(

I tried doing some modifications myself, but as the extraordinary novice
kernel hacker I am, I only got it to hang the specific process doing the
disk access, not the entire machine.  A little improvement, I guess :-/

L*nux has an option `hda=serialize' to do this.  Is there any chance
FreeBSD could have an CMD640B_SUCKS_ROCKS_SERIALIZE_REQUESTS option in the
kernel config file?

Thanks,
--
Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/