Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:14:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with recording

>From what i've been able to find, sox identifies the raw output
of the audio devices (for voxware at least) as follows :
/dev/audio as .au  and /dev/dsp as .ub
converting to and from those formats works nicely with sox.
If you cat the file from /dev/dsp try naming it filename.ub
then convert it to aiff with something like :

sox filename.ub -r 44100 -w filename.aiff resample

then

mpeg_musicin -l3 -ms -p2 -s44.1 -b128 -e filename.aiff filename.mp3

can be used to produce an .mp3 file playable by mpg123, xaudio, splay, etc
The quality using this is not perfect, or even extremeley high, but it's
usable.

If you really want to move it from mono to stereo, you can always use
sox's split effect to copy the one channel into two.  Again, not perfect
but it does work.

Of course, you can also use xwave, NAS, DAP, etc to record at the settings you
want, then mp3 the resulting file with relatively little effort.

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Branson Matheson wrote:

>  I am running 2.2.7 .. trying to record off the audio in .. and have 0
>  success. I can cat /dev/dsp and get a file ( what type I havn't a
>  clue .. cannot find docs anywhere that tell me either ). And I can
>  take that file and cat it back .. and it gives me  11000kHz and mono.
>  But I cannot mpeg it to save my life. I have tried all sorts of
>  editors, converters and stuff and it no workie. Here are the details:
>
>  dmesg:
>  pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa
>
> branson@belmakor > cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (980215) Nov  8 1998 18:02:31
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1:5
>
> the devices are pointed correctly.. and things like amp and mikmod
> work just fine ..as well as the varios mixers.
>
> signed,
>
>   I just wanna record

[ licia@o-o.org ]  [ http://www.o-o.org/ ]  [ IrcNick : Licia ]
[ A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/           ]
[ Why crawl through windows when you can walk through a door? ]
[ This user boycotts all Microsoft products and services      ]