Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2007 13:25:34 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup the basics of the system.

On Saturday 01 September 2007 21:36:50 Joshua Isom wrote:

> I'm about to downgrade from -CURRENT to 6-STABLE, and since I can't
> seem do it in place without screwing around with a lot of stuff, I
> might need to reinstall completely.

The proper way to downgrade is to restore the level 0 backups you made before
upgrading, as outlined in /usr/src/UPDATING. Downgrades are especially hard.

> But which configuration files are
> the ones I need to backup the most?  I know rc.conf and loader.conf,
> but what else would be needed to easily restore the setup of the
> system?  Would I just somehow be able to use mergemaster to get a diff
> and manually apply everything?

/etc/periodic.conf, /etc/master.passwd aside from the ones you mentioned.
Also, any dir in /etc/ that's not from the base system (/etc/X11* comes to
mind).

To save yourself a headache, I'd rm -rf /etc/rc.d before doing installworld
and run mergemaster as mergemaster -i.

I *think* mergemaster just checks if a CVSId is different, not older. Same for
make delete-old whether a file is in the base system and not in the source
tree. Let's hope for your sake it is :)
--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.