Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:48:46 +0200
From:      Michal Vanco <vanco@satro.sk>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Subject:   Re: Routes not deleted after link down

--nextPart93270823.9id32FKxkg

On Sunday 19 June 2005 10:29, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:14:32PM +0200, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> J> Second, you may need a route daemon for this.  ospf is a well known
> J> canditate where convergence in case of lost link is a must.
>
> While an OSPF daemon may stop advertising the affected route to its
> neighbors, the kernel will still have the route installed and thus
> the box won't be able to contact other hosts on the connected net,
> while they are reachable via alternate pass.

Routing protocol should be responsible for removing affected routes from FI=
B.=20
=46or example quagga should remove all routes learned via particular ospf=20
neighbour when that neighbour is not reachable anymore due to link goes dow=
n.=20
But in case when no daemons are used (`static' and `connected' are also=20
`routing protocols'), kernel should be responsible for doing that.

> I've checked that Cisco routers remove route from FIB when interface
> link goes down. I haven't checked Junipers yet.

Junipers do the same. It is the only feasible behaviour for router.

> From my viewpoint, removing route (or marking it unusable) is a correct
> behavior for router. Not sure it is correct for desktop.

Sure.

> My vote is that we should implement this functionality and make it
> switchable via sysctl. I'd leave the default as is.

Agree.