Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 17:45:17 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, altq@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: [altq 806] The future of ALTQ, IPsec & IPFILTER playing together ...

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >If we keep the filter matching rules separate in IPFILTER,
> >IPSEC and ALTQ for much longer, this is only duplicating
> >the maintenance work and will prevent these three great
> >packages to work together happily.
>
>         please be aware that, all *BSD projects are using different
>         packet filter/NAT code, so unifying packet classifier is a
>         big big job.  try looking at amount of #ifdefs in ipfilter, altq
>         and kame ipsec code.

Yes, this makes your lives very difficult, I understand. However,
I also understand that you kind of prefer working with IPFILTER
because IPFILTER is available for all *BSDs regardless of what
other filtering stuff is also available for those. Therefore, I
have migrated to IPFILTER and I have encouraged others to do the
same so that you guys can concentrate on IPFILTER and don't have
to bother with IPFW etc.

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine