Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:28:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS caching question

Scott I. Remick wrote:

> Hello.  I have a question about DNS caching.  Someone walked me through
> setting
> up our FreeBSD system ages ago to just be a caching DNS.  I know it's working
> to SOME degree, as one can set their DNS to be our server's IP and it works...

	If it works, it works. It might seem like it sometimes but there is no
magic to DNS.

> but I'm wondering a way to check it's statistics, how much it's caching, how
> long, how big the cache is, how many queries can be satisfied from the cache,
> etc.

	With respect, you're asking the wrong questions. BIND caches all the
queries it gets answers for. It caches them for as long as the TTL
specified by the site that the answer came from. The cache is as big as
the memory reported in use by name in a tool like 'top'. As for queries
satisfied from the cache, that is determined entirely by whether or not
someone from your site has asked for that information already.

> I'm pouring through the ORA book "DNS and BIND" but I haven't figured it
> out yet, so I was hoping for a preliminary answer :).

	Rather than flipping through the book, sit down and read it cover to
cover. It will give you a much better understanding of how DNS works.

> I'd also be interested
> in how to adjust these settings for a caching DNS.

	How to adjust what settings?

> My version is 4.9.4-P1 I think.  I'm not sure because the dig (etc) command in
> the FAQ doesn't seem to work.  I checked /usr/src/contrib/bind/Makefile and
> got
> the version from there.

	You should definitely upgrade that, it's a huge security hole. If
you're running FreeBSD you should upgrade to 2.2.7-Stable asap to get
the many advantages in security and performance of the base system; and
an up to date, infinitely more secure BIND.

Good luck,

Doug