Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:30:58 +0000
From:      Edward Knight <efknight@bellsouth.net>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some wierdness with my cloned disk

Edward Knight wrote:

> OK,
>
> I cloned my 2.5 gig Freebsd drive up to an 8.4 gig to allow for larger
> filesystems.  It all went pretty much ok.  However, when I boot the new
> drive immediately after the kernel loads, /stand/sysinstall starts.
>
> Can someone clue me in to whats going on?
>
> Ted Knight

On doing some investigation, here's what I have found:

cpio -pmduv  /newdisk < disk.cpio

    is adding a ^@ to the begining of many files both executable and
textt.
    When using vi on text files I can see it, it is always the first
character in the first line.

    disk.cpio is created usinf:

        find / -depth -print > /usr/tmp/disk.cpio

    /newdisk has the following mountts
    /dev/wd2a ->/newdisk
    /dev/wd2e ->/newdisk/var
    /dev/wd2f  ->/newdisk/usr

    -> does not indicate a link.   It is intended to indicate the mount
point.

    wd2 is an 8.4 gig ide which with 3.2R loaded from the WC cdrom. and is
the secondary master.

    / is a 2.5 gig ide drive on the primary master
    I'm copying from / to /newdisk.

I am using 3.2R.  Is cpio flawed or have I done something wrong here?

I'll try tar pclv | tar xpv on the filesystems of / tonight and see if
tcopy goes better.

It was my understanding that tar did not copy special files.  Is this
still true?

Ted knight