Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:02:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Chris Delnooz <c.delnooz@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Grub 0.92 fails to recognise disks on FBSD5

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Chris Delnooz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm experiencing problems with the installation of the GRUB
> bootloader. I have installed the port (grub version 0.92) and created
> the /boot/grub directory with the files from
> /usr/local/share/grub/i381-freebsd. Next I created a menu.lst file in
> /boot/grub and thought to install GRUB in the mbr, so I launch the
> grub shell. My fbsd install is on ad0s2 with / on partition a. If i am
> correct that should be (hd0,1,a) for grub, right? well this is what i
> get:
>
> grub> root (hd0,1,a)
>
> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Probably because you've got an extra 1.  This is what the grub
info file says:

--------------
GRUB can load the kernel directly, either in ELF or a.out format.
But this is not recommended, since FreeBSD's bootstrap interface
sometimes changes heavily, so GRUB can't guarantee to pass kernel
parameters correctly.
   Thus, we'd recommend loading the very flexible loader `/boot/loader'
instead. See this example:
     grub> root (hd0,a)
     grub> kernel /boot/loader
     grub> boot
-------------

Anyway, note that Grub is pointing to /boot/loader - you might as well
use that instead of grub.  It is a better bootloader IMO and its the
default.  It configures itself at run time, examining the disk to see
what OSes are available.  Use /stand/sysinstall to put it back on the MBR
(if you have lost it), or if you want to use the slightly harder way,
read the manpage for disklabel.  I never use grub (or lilo) on any
multiboot system when I have the FreeBSD loader available.

Also, how new are you to FreeBSD?  You sound quite new.  If I were you I
would use FreeBSD 4.7 instead of 5.0 - I'd only use 5.0 if I were an OS
developer or there was some feature on 5.0 that I desperately needed -
like maybe I had a machine with more than 2 CPUs.  I personally have no
intention of going near 5.x until it is the -stable branch *and*
everyone else has used it long enough to get the problems out.

Bill.

--
W. Palfreman.