Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:30:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Holm Tiffe <freebsd@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP Gurus, please help

Hi,
I have an - current (kernel upgraded today to cvs-cur.4669)
aout machine with an ASUS PCI/E P54NP4 Neptune PCI/EISA Motherboard.
I have equipped this machine with an P90 and an P100, and
this configuration was running SMP on Slowaris 2.4 or so (only
a short time for testing purposes).
The P90 is one of the last exemplares from intel, before the
P90 was dropped.

The SCSI Controller is an AHA2724T twin bus adapter revision C.

Peter Wemm has sucessfully running on this machine SMP-current
with an revision E (or newer SCSI Controller).

Because I have read this on this list, I have tried again to get
SMP working on my machine but no luck jet:

The kernel is booting to the line SMP: AP CPU #1 launched !

the the SCSI LED goes on, and after a long time I get some
timeout messages from the Adaptec driver ( something with BDR,
and no longer in timeout, and bus resets). nothing other happens.

I know, this sounds like the 2742 is unable to generate an interrupt,
I have double checked the EISA setup, switched the slots, disabled both
caches, clocked down the entire machine to 75 Mhz, changed the IRQ's
and so on, no change...

The overclocked P90 CPU (100Mhz) has never had any problems in UP mode,
(as 1st. processor) this machine is rock solid !
Both CPU's are good cooled, with handmade passive CPU coolers, and have
the same APIC ID.
I have changed the CPU's vis versa, there is no change in the behavior.

Guys, what is happening here ?

Is the aha 2742T Rev C able to run in a SMP system ?

What I'm doing wrong, what can I do to debug this ?

Please help me...

mptable and kernel config are as follows:

MPTable, version 2.0.15

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f8360
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x9d
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f8374
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            228
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x51
  OEM ID:                       'ASUSTEK0'
  Product ID:                   'P54NP4000000'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  20
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP Config Base Table Entries:

#--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     5       2       1       0x07bf
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      5       2       1       0x07bf
#--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       EISA
                 1       PCI
#--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
#--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     1          2    1
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     0          2    2
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     3          2    3
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     4          2    4
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     5          2    5
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     6          2    6
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     7          2    7
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     8          2    8
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     9          2    9
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    10          2   10
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    11          2   11
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    12          2   12
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    13          2   13
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    14          2   14
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    15          2   15
#--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=2                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs

#
# UNICORN
#
#

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           UNICORN
maxusers        20

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
#options                SOFTUPDATES
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console

options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG
options         "SHMMAX=16777216"
options         "SHMSEG=32"
options         "SHMMNI=128"
options         "SHMALL=4096"
options         KTRACE
#options                "AUTO_EOI_2"
options         "CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP"
options         "CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION"
options         "CLK_USE_TSC_CALIBRATION"
options         PQ_LARGECACHE
#options                DDB
options         "NDGBPORTS=8"
#options                "VM86"
options         DEVFS

options         SMP
options         APIC_IO
options         NCPU=2
options         DDB

config          kernel  root on da1

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

controller      eisa0

controller      ahc0

controller      scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
controller      scbus1 at ahc0 bus 1

device          da0 at scbus0 target 0
device          da1 at scbus0 target 2
device          da2 at scbus1 target 2
device          sa0 at scbus1 target 3
device          sa1
device          cd0 at scbus0 target 4
device          pass0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options                "PCVT_FREEBSD=210"      # pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.1
#options                XSERVER                 # include code for XFree86

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
#device         sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
#device         sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr
#device         sio4    at isa? port 0x2a0 tty flags 0x781
#device         sio5    at isa? port 0x2a8 tty flags 0x781
#device         sio6    at isa? port 0x2b0 tty flags 0x781
#device         sio7    at isa? port 0x2b8 tty flags 0x781 irq5 vector siointr

device          dgb0    at isa? tty port 0x300 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz ? flags 0x0

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device          psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmint

#controller     snd0
#device                 sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq9 conflicts drq1 vector sb
intr
#device         opl0    at isa? port 0x388 conflicts

#controller     snd0
#device         mss0    at isa? port 0x530 irq 9 drq 1 vector adintr
#device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 drq 0

device          de0

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   sl      1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     64
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       # Berkeley Packet Filter
pseudo-device   vn      2       # Vnode Driver

Holm