Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:31:05 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        eddy Smith <eddy1005@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL INTERNET GATEWAY PROBLEM

[Your paragraphs are all on one line. Please wrap at about 72
columns.]

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:06:09PM +0200, eddy Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently decided to switch to FreeBSD for my Internet gateway. (I was using Linux) And so far I'm pretty happy with it.
> I'm using Version 4.4. I have managed it to get the box dialing out and connect to my provider. Once is connected I can browse the internet from any my other clients within my LAN. Just exactly what I wanted to get working.
> However the dial out has to happen manually which I don't think is good. My actual question is how do I get the box to connect during boot time and once is connected isn't there anything that would get the box reconnected in case of a connection lose for some reason. I'm absolutely desperate and appreciate any kind of help that would help me to get this fixed.
>
> See my rc.config and ppp.conf below
>
> Regards,
> Eddy
>
> Please reply to erdincb@web.de
>
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Oct  1 19:21:03 2001
> # Created: Mon Oct  1 19:21:03 2001
> # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
> # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> gateway_enable="YES"
> hostname="firewall.homeip.net"
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.10.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
> keymap="german.iso"
> moused_enable="NO"
> moused_type="NO"
> #nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
> saver="blank"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> tcp_extensions="YES"
> usbd_enable="NO"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firwall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
> firewall_type="open"
> firewall_quiet="NO"
> firewall_logging_enable="YES"
> natd enable="YES"
> natd interface="tun0"

I hope these two are typos. You are missing the underscore. If you are
using the built-in NAT in ppp(8), you probably do not need to be
running natd(8) anyway.

> natd_flags="dynamic"
> ppp_enable="YES"
> ppp_mode="auto"
> ppp_nat="YES"
> ppp_profile="ddial"

Is this correct? Do you actually want to have the ppp_mode be 'ddial?'
See rc.conf(5). This should be working, provided there is a 'ddial'
profile in your ppp.conf(5) (which there did not appear to be).