Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:01:34 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-RELEASE bootable CD-R to replace files

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:36:33AM -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> Hello fellow BSD'ers!  Happy holidays.
>
> I had 4.7-RELEASE on my box and then I accidentally deleted a file
> as root (I think it was /usr/lib/ld-elf.so.1 or .8) and now the
> system is not bootable anymore (I believe this affected many
> binaries such as /sbin/init and my tcsh shell)!
>
> Could someone please advise me about booting into this CD-R I have
> of 4.7-RELEASE and reinstalling (similar to upgrading, for which
> there is sparse information at www.freebsd.org)??
>
> Do I just select "Label" from /stand/sysinstall (as fdisk
> information looks fine) and label the root mountpoint "/" then
> select bin, compat, libraries etc or will this possibly OVERWRITE a
> directory I currently have (mounted) such as /root/mydocuments/ ??
>
> Thanks to anyone who can clarify this procedure.
>
> PS: Please reply CC: to my email address as well as the list.
>
> --
> Peter Leftwich, President & Founder
> Video2Video Services
> Box 13692, La Jolla, CA, 92039, USA
> http://Www.Video2Video.Com

This is where a copy of the Live CD would really come in handy...you could
boot off that, mount your hard drive, and copy over the missing file and be
back in business.  I looked about the net for a copy of it for you and was
unable to find 4.7, although it's a slim chance that 4.8 might work for you,
the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work.

Here's the link if you want to give it a go:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.8/4.8-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso

Josh Paetzel