Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:00:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <ajk@paw-in-eye.net>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: numbers in parens???

Jonathon McKitrick said:

> What does ppp(8) mean?  AT first i thought this meant ppp man page 8, but
> when i tried the man page, it said ppp(8) on page 1.
>
> -jonathon

It is the SECTION of the unix manual.  As I recall, the common ones
are something like this.

        (1) User Commands
        (2) System Calls
        (3) Library functions
        (4) Kernel Interfaces
        (5) File Formats
        (8) System Manager Commands

Sometimes the same term is in two sections,
usually 2 and 8.  chroot is one example.  To see the man page for the
chroot system call (also referred to as chroot(2)), type
        man chroot
     or man 2 chroot.
To see the man page for the chroot executable, type
        man 8 chroot