Date:      13 Nov 1995 06:58:12 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of things

phk@freefall.freebsd.org (Poul-Henning Kamp) writes:

>1. The slower sysinstall:  we don not use the same scenario
>now as in 2.0.5 that's why the exec gzip stuff is so much slower.
>in 2.0.5 the MFS disk contained uncompressed binaries, relying
>on kzip to compress the entire thing, not the MFS disk contains
>gziped bins too.

Err.. :-) There's a couple of typos in there that make it a little bit
ambiguous..

So, let me get this straight... We're _now_ using a gzipped, crunched
executable?   If so, isn't that bad?  the exec gzip routine makes a
copy of the gzipped data in memory, and runs that doesn't it?  ie:
swap space is allocated because it can't page to the file anymore?

I've not looked at the gzip exec code, but what are the odds that each
executable launched from the crunched image is using up it's own
amount of ram and swap space rather than sharing pages?  Or does it
try and be smart by associating the the ungzipped pages with the file
so that when the crunched image is run, the ungzipped pages are reclaimed?

Cheers,
-Peter