Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:58:18 +0300
From:      Vladislav Prodan <universite@ukr.net>
To:        Yoshiaki Kasahara <kasahara@nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem updating 10-STABLE

 --- Original message ---
 From: "Yoshiaki Kasahara" <kasahara@nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp>
 Date: 16 July 2014, 13:22:42

> Hi,

> Any suggestions? I don't want to do make installworld during multi
> user mode because I cannot ensure new zfs userland will work with new
> kernel (if not, my system will become unusable). Maybe try installing
> new /rescue only and try it with the new kernel?
>
> I'm considering to set up BE to avoid this kind of problem, but I need
> some exercise...

Hello
I do not practice since 2004 reboot to single mode.
I still do installworld in multiuser mode.

service ntpd stop
cd /usr/src
make clean
rm -r /usr/obj
make -j$thread buildworld                       || exit
make -j$thread buildkernel KERNCONF=$kernel     || exit

make installkernel KERNCONF=$kernel             || exit
make installworld                               || exit

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
sync

echo "Check BootDisk and REBOOT"

I do not use mergemaster.
And after reboot in multiplayer mode I form /etc in the new system.

rm -rf /etc.old
cp -a /etc /etc.old

rm -rf /var/tmp/root
mkdir -p /var/tmp/root
cd /usr/src/etc
make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/root distrib-dirs distribution
cd /var/tmp/root/etc

cp -af /var/tmp/root/etc /

file_list="ssh/sshd_config crontab csh.cshrc dhclient.conf hosts.allow inetd.conf make.conf master.passwd newsyslog.conf \
login.conf login.conf.db ntp.conf passwd pwd.db rc.conf rc.local snmpd.config spwd.db shells sysctl.conf syslog.conf"

for file in $file_list;  do
        cp -a /etc.old/$file /etc/$file
done

Copy the new files in /etc.
Then return the old config files for.
And then back to reboot.
If, for some config files are missing - see /etc.old

P.S. Many thanks to the user Hagen (who supposedly lived in England in the year 2004).

--
 Vladislav V. Prodan
 System & Network Administrator