Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:13:59 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Nikolay Pavlov <qpadla@gmail.com>
Cc:        Michael Williams <gberz3@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOW TO: Setting up rails for "shared hosting" on a dedicated box. . .?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:16:17 +0300
Nikolay Pavlov <qpadla@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 22 July 2007 16:32:19 Michael Williams wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > As you may already know, A partner and I recently purchased a
> > dedicated FreeBSD box.  We're currently using Plesk (blech!) to
> > manage client domains and such.  I'm curious though as to what the
> > best (most manageable) setup/configuration is for supporting Rails
> > for each of our clients.  Basically we want to be our own Shared
> > Hosting Rails Provider (for lack of a more appropriate phrase) and
> > need to figure out the best server configuration.  Just a bit of an
> > FYI, everything is already running on Apache2 so I'd need to share
> > Apache2 among all programs (e.g. svn, rails, etc);  as opposed to
> > splitting tasks between Apache and Apache2.
> >
> > If you could point me in the right direction it would be most
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
>
> Hi Michael. I don't think that apache is the best choice to handle rails
> applications. However in case of Share hosting environment it would be fine.
> I see three choices here:
> 1) Apache2 + mod_proxy_balancer + mongrel (The best way IMHO)
> 2) Apache2 + fast_cgi (Could have some problems, due to mostly
> unmaintainable nature of fast_cgi)
> 3) Apache2 + cgi (Absolutely workable, but VERY slow case)

Look into Lighty (http://lighttpd.net )

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code."
   Eric Raymond