Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:01:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        mh <mheyes@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't build Evolution: Solution?

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, mh wrote:

> >Ray Kohler wrote:
> > > I did not receive a reply from the port maintainer, but I was
> > > able to "solve" the problem of the missing libfreetype.so.6. I
> > > deinstalled all the XFree86-*-4* sub-packages and reinstalled the
> > > mega-port in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4. This provided
> > > libfreetype.so.6. I copied this file as libfreetype.so.6.save and
> > > then deinstalled the mega-port, reinstalled the sub-ports, and
> > > copied the libfreetype file to its original location. Then I
> > > deinstalled evolution and reinstalled it, and it built and
> > > installed without problem.
> >
> > Well, libfreetype is part of the print/freetype2 port, but it's at
> > so.7 now. It looks like part of your ports tree is stale and
> > possibly goofed up anyway. I'd try deleting it and getting a new
> > one if you can (my apologies if you already tried that).
> >
> > --
> > Ray Kohler
> > "Have you lived here all your life?"
> > "Oh, twice that long."
>

> If anything is stale and goofed-up, it would be me. I use CVSup to keep
> ports current nightly. I decided to try again (sitting in front of the
> box, not at work):
>
> 1. removed /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (in keeping with problem
> report ports/30813)
> 2. checked and print/freetype2 port is installed, and libfreetype.so.7
> was installed in /usr/local/lib
> 3. deinstalled / reinstalled evolution
> 4. tried running evolution. failed with "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> shared object "libfreetype.so.6" not found
> 5. made link from /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6 to
> /usr/local/lib/freetype.so.7
> 6. deinstalled / reinstalled evolution. probably not necessary.
> 7. ran evolution, works fine.
>
> So, it works, with the link. Until libfreetype.so.8 get installed. Now,
> is this a problem with the evolution port?

Maxim recently upgraded freetype2 and evolution to chase the new library
number.  The problem iis really with ever-changing lib numbers.  When a
library major number changes (like freetype.7 to .8), you really have two
choices: 1. keep the old version of the lib around for your old
applications, 2. upgrade the library, and all the ports it depends on.

The portupgrade tool makes 2 a snap.  Just do:

portupgrade -f -r freetype2

After cvsup'ing a current ports tree.

Symlinking can be a bad idea since library differences can cause core
dumps or other unexpected behavior.

Joe