Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 18:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

On 6 Apr 2000, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> I don't think that is necessary and needlessly bloats people's
> /usr/src by having two copies of almost identical source.
>
> My recommendation (as a Core-team member in charge of the ports
> collection) would be to make csh a port, linked statically by default
> with an option to install it in /bin, so embedded systems people who
> need csh rather than tcsh to be on their systems can easily get it.

	If I were working on an embedded system, the very first thing I'd
chuck is csh. Nothing in the base depends on it being there, as opposed to
/bin/sh which many things depend on. If you _have_ to have one, and you
dno't have to have the other, it's a no brainer.

	I don't use csh at all (I even change my root shells to
/bin/sh) so I can't really comment on the usability issue. However if the
following things are all true,

1. There is no (ok, 99% of no) danger that it will break something
important.
2. It's under the BSD license.
3. It's actively maintained.
4. Someone is willing to take responsibility for keeping it up to date.

Then I don't see any reason not to import it.

	As for pedantry, I'm just as pedantic as the next person when it
comes to shell scripting (witness my recent suggestions for
dot.profile) but no one who writes scripts that have to be portable uses
csh anyway. And no, that's not flame bait. Cruise through comp.unix.shell
sometime if you don't believe me. Any additional resistance on this point
can easily be overcome by David assuring everyone that he will properly
comment on the non-portable elements in the man page.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.