Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 12:36:19 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Christopher Smith <drsmithy@usa.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Ppro motherboards

Joachim Strömbergson wrote:

> Aloha!
>
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > Christopher Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I've always wanted to have an SMP system and having noticed recently a
> > > lot of Ppro/200s (some with 512k cache) going on ebay for around the
> > > $50US mark, I'm seriously considering making myself up an SMP FreeBSD
> > > Box.
> > If you are looking at producing a more powerfull computer, I think you are
> > going about it in the wrong way. I have an Athlon 900 system and a dual 866
> > coppermine system. The Athlon runs about 10% slower than the dual 866's and
> > cost much less. The expected ratio in multiprocessor systems used to be 1.8
> > and the dual 866's really miss that mark.
> >
> > I don't think an old 66MHz FSB system is a good deal at any price. You could
> > purchase a fairly good AMD Durlon(?) for the price you are going to spend of
> > the two PPros and have a much more effective system.
> >
> > Kent
>
> As a SMP-system user I would have to say that I agree with Kent -
> depending of course what your aim with the system is.
>
> I have a dual Celeron 533 system on the great BP6 mb. As a multi user
> server it really rocks. But this system will not give you that amazing
> single application that you might want sometimes (Emacs or Unreal
> anyone?).

I have always thought of MP systems as something that didn't run anything
faster but what they would do is run additional applications equally slowly.
The compiler's on Cray's were the best the world had to offer in 1990.
However, when you turned on full MP and vector support, a 486-PC would out
compile it on a line for line basis. The PC was fast because it didn't have
to worry about pipelines and producing do-loops that could be run on more
than one processor.

> My next system will be a new workstation. That machine will quite
> certainly be a Athlon T-bird or Duron combined with lots of memory and a
> fast GFX-card. The SMP system will continue to live as a full time
> server.

What is interesting (frustrating is the word) is that seti@home runs 25%
faster on the T-bird on Windows 2000 than it does on FreeBSD 4.3.

Kent

> So, yes, a SMP system kan be cool in a geeky sense, but you should think
> pretty hard what the target use for the system is before investing.
>
> --
> Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!
>
> Joachim Strömbergson
> Joachim Strömbergson - ASIC designer, nice to *cute* animals.
>     snail:                  phone:                     mail & web:
> Sävenäsgatan 5A        +46 31 - 27 98 47          watchman@ludd.luth.se
> 416 72 Göteborg        +46 733 75 97 02
> www.ludd.luth.se/~watchman

Kent Stewart