Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:29:04 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Niels M. Raijer" <niels@fusix.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot problem: atapi1.0: unknown phase

Niels M. Raijer wrote:

> However, during the boot I have about a 90% chance it seems to get the
> error "atapi0.1: unknown phase" (or "atapi1.0: unknown phase", depending
> on whether I connect the CD-ROM to the primary or secondary
> IDE-interface).
>
> I tried exchanging the CD-ROM players in the new PC and in both Linux
> boxes. They are a Lite-on LTN301, Lite-on LTN382 and Philips PCA408CDB.
> All three exhibit the same behavior in the FreeBSD box, yet all three work
> fine in any of the Linux boxes.
>
> On one web page I found the explanation that the atapi error is a sure
> sign of a sucky CD-ROM player. I find this hard to believe -- after all
> they work fine under Linux, and FreeBSD is supposed to be *better*, right
> :-) ?

Does it hang when you get to this error? I've had this problem on two
machines here. On one (an old 486 with an old quad-speed drive) the
messages seems harmless: bootup proceeds and the CD drive works fine. On
the other (a new AMD K6-2 with a 40-speed drive) the system hung at that
message. I've updated to the latest -STABLE and the problem seems to
have gone (I've rebooted successfully three times). I'm not sure what's
been fixed, but something seems to have been.

Also, I found putting a CD in the drive seemed to help.. but perhaps
this was just coincidence, or me imagining it.

You don't say what FreeBSD version this is.. You could either update to
the latest -STABLE as I have, and see if that helps, or wait until 3.3
is released, which I beleive is just taken off the -STABLE branch and
should have whatever fix I've picked up.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and