Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:23:03 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whitespace at end of line

At 10:15 PM +0200 7/15/01, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
>David et al,
>
>On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 11:19:57AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
>#
># Please do not do this to the .[ch] files.  It makes diffs to stable
># harder.
>
>I see. Dima suggested in private email that I/we MFC such changes
>relatively fast in order to avoid that; of course this would be done
>only after md5 "approval" of the binaries.

Also note that your reason for changing this is the disk space consumed
by the extra blanks.  You're going to be combatting that by using up
disk space for patches (at least as far as my systems are concerned,
because I cvsup the CVS tree and not any specific release).

># Please leave such cleanup to
># when people are in the files cleaning up other style nits so we don't
># have 1 million commits, each taking care of just one point of style(9).
>
>OK, then I think it's best to tell developers@ about my script in
>freefall:~schweikh/bin/ws-at-eol which by default will only print the
>names of the files and optionally the line numbers/lines. Committers are
>encouraged to make use of it as they see fit. Folks, please remember to
>make separate commits for content changes and whitespace changes.

I am not in favor of a generic sweep to remove blank space, but the
script will be useful to use when working on some source for other
reasons.  Thanks.