Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:58:40 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@paradox.nexuslabs.com>, Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why FFS is THAT slower than EXT2 ?

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 10:29:54AM -0600, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> To put it slightly more strongly: as far as I'm concerned ext2 is not a
> serious fs if you really care about handling power failures and other such
> fun things.

I'm not sure I've ever really understood this position. In cases where
data integrity is vital to retain, there is no excuse for not using
machines with multiple power supplies, each fed from independent, clean
power sources, with multiple fans, running a stable, tested OS release.

Of course, double-point failures _do_ occur. But really, not very often.
Paranoia with FS writes can seem extreme considering that the network
which attaches that machine to the outside world is probably not
engineered to the same degree of fault protection.

Just my $0.02. I'm not saying that FFS should throw caution to the
wind (especially not in the default configuration) but to argue that
async writes are only ever used by stupid people is a little unfair :)

Joe