Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 16:52:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

> I never said that the boot behaviour couldn't be improved.  But i
> don't think this is the most urgent problem with the JAZ drive.  The
> unit attention problem (for example) is much more serious.

It doesn't prevent me using it; it is just an annoying log message
because it shouldn't be being triggered in the first place.

> We still need to decide whether we want a separate driver for the
> removable media devices (`od' would be a good candidate here), or
> whether the sd driver should all handle this.  There's no ultimate
> agreement yet on this.

Well, historically I've always thought all removable media (even
floppy disks) should be treated differently.  That means that
rolling it into the sd driver is probably a mistake.

Even if you throw out floppies, you still have IDE removable media
to consider.  And I think hot-pluggable devices (like PCMCIA cards)
should be covered by the same overall umbrella.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---