Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:31:59 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Ben Hockenhull" <benh@jpj.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov" <SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov>
Subject:   Re: Making A FreeBSD CD-ROM

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:12:08 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hockenhull wrote:

>> I, personally, think it's unfair to ask any of us to spend our leisure
>> time helping you save $40.  What does anyone else think ??
>
>I, personally, think it isn't that big a deal and you need to relax.  It's
>no different than asking for help with one's production (read: makes
>you money) FreeBSD system on the list, for instance.

I think there are other people on this list that feel basically the way
I do.  If you ask a question that implies you haven't done any of the
research yourself, I give you the answer on a silver platter, and many
others won't either.  I get about 200 messages a day, and if we can't
prune out the noise, I'll unsubscribe, just as many others have.  I
suggest we have one or two new lists, call them freebsd-lazy,
freebsd-cheap, or combine them as freebsd-lazy-and-cheap.  Then you can
spend your leisure time answering questions that the authors of the
questions should have/could have answered themselves, if they had put
forth the effort.  I certainly can understand someone who has no
experience asking "where do I begin", and I have helped many people
such as this.  But I am tired of going thru hundreds of "I didn't read
ANY FAQs, handbooks, web pages, or any thing else.  Would somebody
please install and administer my system for me because it'll make me
money."

You are responsible for the poor signal to noise ratio.  And we need to
do something about it.