Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:42:22 -0500
From:      Randy Ramsdell <rramsdell@livedatagroup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd filesystem ( hard reboot )

Vince wrote:
> Randy Ramsdell wrote:
>
>> We started using FreeBSD for some network monitoring, but have found
>> that a hard reboot forces us to answer filesytem questions on boot. Is
>> there a way to mount each filesystem without this? Or how can we use
>> FreeBSD in a remote location without needing to intervene in
>> situatutions like this?
>>

> This is unusual in my experience, part of the charm of FreeBSD for me is
> how rarely I have had to interact with fsck thanks to the whole
> background fsck thing. What version of FreeBSD are you using?
>
> Assuming a 5.x or later since you say you've started to use FreeBSD.

I am fairly sure it is v6.2
> What is the value of background_fsck in /etc/rc.conf ?

This isn't set. Was is supposed to be? So far, I have only installed
applications we need. And everything seem fine except the reboot issue.
This will be an offsite system so I do not want human intervention on
boot for power outages or hard reboots.
> You can also try setting fsck_y_enable="YES" in rc.conf (this will do
> fsck -y if the initial preen fails.)

I will use this. Do you mean by try, that this will work? I assume so.

Thanks Vince!

Oh, Is there a way to not receive 2 messages for every reply to this thread?