Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:55:28 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Charles Oppermann <charles@coppersoftware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

Charles Oppermann wrote:

>>>1.  It's not the original charter of the mailing list.  For reference:
>>>

>I've always thought this was silly.  All throughout the internet "newbies"
>implies beginner.  A newbie mailing list regarding an operating system is
>naturally going to have people posting technical questions.  Even if the
>newbie is aware of the technical questions mailing list, they may make the
>choice to post to freebsd-newbies because of intimidation.
>
>I understand the purpose of the list is "a gathering place for people new to
>FreeBSD" to "share [their] experiences with others" and I think that's
>wonderful.
>
>To accomplish that goal then, why not simply have a "freebsd-experience"
>mailing list?
>
>Personally, I think newbies (myself included) are intimidated by the
>freebsd-questions list and feel they will be more welcomed in a newbies
>list.  For that reason, I think the freebsd-newbies list should stick around
>and have it's charter changed to allow technical discussions - with a caveat
>that they be moved to another list if not newbie oriented.
>
>Regardless of what's done, something has to change simply because so many
>people make the mistake of not reading or abiding my the current charter.
>Currently newbie's are chastised at the very time they feel most intimated.
>Instead, they should be welcomed, encouraged and nurtured.
>
>I'm glad the FreeBSD organization is discussing this, because it's been
>painful for me to watch people basically get yelled at for posting.  Might
>not seem like yelling to someone who subscribes to a dozen or more lists and
>has tons of experience, but I'm sure the wet-behind-the-ears newbie has a
>different impression of what is likely their first experience with the
>FreeBSD community.

ditto!, and this is why I do help them if they post here as I cannot sit
here with my thumbs up my ass telling them I can't help them when I know
I can. also questions is a high volume list already, do you really want
people asking how to mount there CDs and how to use tar there? The
message you are sending to the newbies that post here is that your stuck
up and don't care about them, this is never a good thing.