Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:06:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, i just started learning VI, so maybe i'll try both at the same time.
> > However, i haven't quite reached that level yet of being an advanced programmer.
> > So, many of Emacs features will be lost on me.  But, it is certainly worth a try,
> > since someday i may need it.
> >
> > Yes, it makes more sense like you said to start a session at login and use it
> > throughout the session.  Maybe if i buy that book it will give me incentive.
>
> If much of your work on your computer consists of editing things, Emacs is a
> good tool.  If you edit things only occasionally, other editors may be as
> useful and a bit faster to load.  If you use X, aXe is pretty nice and is
> quick enough to launch from a dock or something like that.
>
> > Do you use emacs, Xemacs, or some derivative?  Version 19 or 20?
>
> I use GNU Emacs 20, mostly because my .emacs file has been customized for
> GNU conventions over the years.  If I were starting over, I'd probably pick
> Xemacs instead.  Most of the younger Emacs'ers around here use Xemacs.

I just happen to have bought an emacs book yesterday and read a bit. I
have two things that I cannot get clear for myself:

1. Is it 'done' on BSD? The book gave me the idea that emacs is a real
GNU thing, so much 'hallelujah' in it. I don't mind that, but wouldn't
like to jump into learning it all, if it isn't really supported in
BSD-circles. And I want to be politically correct of course :-)

2. Which version should I use/learn/configure? "Most younger ... use
Xemacs." I'm 39. Does the fact that I still occasionally use
WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, because the ctrl and alt key-strokes [for
notes, size e.g.] somehow come natural for me, suggest the non-X
version?

A third, now I'm at it: Does the Windows version (it is on the CD with
the book) really work? Would be nice to use at work maybe, once I got
used to it or maybe fond of it.

--
Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 11:56pm  up  11 days,  23:45,  load average: 2.64 2.19 2.06