Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:45:43 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How does one upgrade 3.x with 32MB / to 4.x ?

On Thursday, 28 September 2000 at 11:14:31 +1100, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I am writing to ask your recommendations upgrading 3.x hosts with 32 MB
> root parititions that are more than 70% full, to 4.x.
>
> 4.x uses more than 27 MB.
>
> I have had a lot of trouble trying to use /stand/sysinstall UPGRADE
> because the root file system fills up while the bin distribution is
> being copied and unpacked.
>
> Often the machins I upgrade are standalone or have no means of
> backup. In any case, I would rather do a fresh install if that were
> the only way of getting back data.

I think at some point you need to recognize the limitations of the
upgrade process.  I've been recommending large root partitions with
/usr on the / partition for exactly this reason.  Nowadays 3 to 4 GB
seems a reasonable size, though there are good reasons for only having
a single partition per disk.

On the other hand, it is possible to run a 4.x system with only 32 MB
/ file system.  In your case, you could consider copying the entire /
file system to /usr, possibly with something like:

  # tar czlf /usr/root.tar.gz /

Then perform a normal install, which should not overwrite the data on
/usr, and manually recover what you need from the archive back to the
root file system.  It's painful, but possibly less so than a complete
reinstall and repartition.  How many systems are involved?

Greg