Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:35:07 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/39824: Various tweaks for doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig/chapter.sgml; corresponding comment clarification for GENERIC

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:02:46PM -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:
> 	If you're going to rework it that much, I'd make it "devices
> which are not present in the default kernel, such as sound cards or
> the IPFW firewall".
>
> 	Actually, though, it should be rewritten to mention that
> sound drivers and other kernel functions can be loaded via kldload
> (see kern/39814 & Message-ID:
> <20020625194229.GA1289@fonix.adamsfamily.xx>). I'm not clear on the
> details yet, but kernel rebuilds are no longer a requirement for this
> purpose. The problematic section is likely to get fixed or eliminated
> as a side-effect.

Heh, this must have been me. To clarify: Look at the file
/boot/defaults/loader.conf on your machine and see what modules can be
loaded at boot time. If what you are after is not listed there, then it
may not work just now. (There may be differences between -CURRENT and
-STABLE, and I run only the former)

According to my log, it also should be under
src/sys/boot/forth/loader.conf.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM