Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:42:25 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@speakeasy.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SVN RELEASE_9_2_0

Today I tripped over another package that had broken dependencies even
thought It was supposedly a package that was from 9.2-RELEASE release
process. It was celestia, installed from 9.2-release packages, which
depended on libpangox.so.1. I tried to roll my own. The build was broken
too.

My question still stands. Is FreeBSD now building packages prior to the
actual tagging of the ports tree as RELEASE_9_2_0? It seems like this is
the case since the dates of the packages in the FTP archive pre-date the
release date.

For many many releases now I have run only unmodified -release with the
equivalent ports. And it was good. Now I'm having issues with the
quality of the ports. I am concerned that it is due to a failure in the
release process. I might be wrong.

If I'm not, then my request is to not put the cart before the horse and
ship ports labelled in the FTP archive as -release when they are really
just a snapshot of a point in time close the release date. That's very
unFreeBSD like.

i.e.:

freeze it
build it
fix it
build it
no errors? no changes?
tag it
ship it

It seems like we skipped freeze it, fix it, and check for errors. We
just built it and shipped it, then later we tagged it for release. Or
maybe we never did the above and I personally just got lucky for 4 major
versions. I do seem to recall things like "ports freeze" on the RE schedule.

Regards,
Jason C. Wells