Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:33:37 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Colin <cwass99@home.com>
Cc:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>, Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug-fixing previous -RELEASE

In message <3840165D.CAF495E9@home.com>, Colin writes:
> Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, this brings up another interesting question.  First, to put this in
> > context:
> >
> > Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > Actually, the -missioncritical branch is sort of provided for
> > > now as a function of -previousstable.  There are plenty of people still
> > > running 2.2.x, for example, and you even still occasionally see commits
> > > to the 2.2.x branch.
> >
> > Ok, so, let's assume I JUST want to incorporate bugfixes into the -RELEASE
> > (be it 3.x or whatever) that I have on a particular machine.   How would I
> > go about doing this?
> >
>      My intent was actually a little different from the responses that
> are elswhere in this list.  My thought was, when you find a bug that
> affects you, get the diffs/upgraded source that fixes that problem only
> and apply.  I'm new enough to this branch that I don't know for sure how
> difficult that would be, but I don't imagine it would be that big of a
> deal.  You could also move just far enough up the source tree to fix
> your current problems and stop there, but at that point, there's no more
> risk than tracking -STABLE completely.

This approach does work (usually), however there are times that a fix
may require prerequisite patches.  Sometimes you end up with a long chain of
prerequisites that need to be installed that eventually leads into an
abyss.  In that case you need to carefully decide whether to sync up
with -stable or live with the bug.

Usually what I do in the above situation is run the "new" O/S from
another disk or slice, then if it breaks something or customers
complain and no fix can be found, the backout is a simple reboot.
Once the "new" O/S has been running for a couple of weeks or so,
you can safely reclaim the space used by the "old" O/S.

This is an approach that I and my team have been using on Solaris,
Digital UNIX, and FreeBSD for a number of years.  It's an approach I
learned in my previous life as an MVS Systems Programmer.

Of course none of this beats having a testbed, however O/S's that run
nicely on testbeds tend to have problems on production machines because
users will do things you've never even dreamed of testing.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC
                      "e**(i*pi)+1=0"