Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 15:52:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warnings in LINT

>What is the ``correct'' way to silence these warnings:

>../../gnu/isdn/iitel.c:1: warning: `_itelid' defined but not used
>../../gnu/isdn/isdn_ioctl.h:1: warning: `_isdn_ioctl_id' defined but not used

Convert all static Id strings to comments.  There are only a few, mostly in
isdn, because we normally don't use them.  Use

	static type_t const object = ...;

for apparently-unused static objects.  I'm not sure how to handle apparently-
unused static functions.

>My initial thought is to hide them with a KERN_RCS ifdef (inspired by
>libc), but is that the right thing to do? Any other ideas?

A library macro conditioned to produce comments instead of static strings
might be best if it existed :-).

Bruce