Date:      Sun, 8 May 2011 17:45:55 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Needing Help

--6cMF9JLEeZkfJjkP

Quoth John or Judy Hixson on Sunday, 08 May 2011:
> At the risk of being told to get out of here and never come back (until y=
ou know enough to not need to come back), I need help on some very elementa=
ry stuff. I haven't found anywhere else to ask these questions and am there=
fore taking my chances.
>=20
> I'm trying to learn some FreeBSD in anticipation of eventually admining a=
 FBSD server for my church office network. I've installed FreeBSD 7.4 on an=
 old PC and am trying to follow along while reading Michael Lucas' book (2n=
d ed.). Right now my problem is with the command line. Lucas make a stateme=
nt as follows: "If you want to see a comprehensive list of loader variables=
, check the default configuration file." Since there is no command "check",=
 I have no idea what to use. What command will "check" a file? What I reall=
y want to do is "view" the file, but that command doesn't exist either. Ano=
ther problem that's throwing me for a loop is that even though I'm logged i=
n as root I'm getting a "permission denied" return when I list a file (e.g.=
 /etc/fstab) and press enter.
>=20
> This no doubt the wrong place for simple questions like these so someone =
PLEASE tell me where better to go. Thank you.
>=20
> John Hixson_______________________________________________
rg"

For viewing or editing a file, what you want is a text editor.  I use
vim, but it really isn't designed for beginners.  Whatever editor you
decide to use, I would advise reading up on it before jumping into text
files.

To list files in a directory, the command is 'ls'.  Type 'man ls' to get
full documentation.  In fact, for most Unix commands, 'man' is your
friend.

--=20
=2EO. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
=2E.O | sterling@camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com