Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:34:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/20379

> > On the other hand, there *is* an easy workaround to turn them off, so in
> > the worst case we would have an escape route.
> >
> > Jordan, what's your feeling on this?  I don't have a 450GX board to test
> > with. 8(
>
> I feel it looks like a small but smelly hack and I also have bad
> feelings about it. :)  What's this "easy workaround to turn them off"
> you're alluding to?

set machdep.pci.bios="disable"

in the loader disables searching for (and thus use of) the PCI BIOS
interface.  If you check back up the log for this PR, you'll see that an
earlier respondent has indicated that the PCI BIOS code on these boards
seems to DTRT where our own register-level code doesn't.

Alternatively (a POLA issue, I guess at worst) I can bring it in but
default it to "disable", so that people with this problem will have to
set it to "enable".  Then it would become an errata issue.

As I mentioned elsewhere though, the PCI BIOS code has been remarkably
complaint-free over the last ~6mo or so in -current...