Date:      23 Feb 96 19:19:00 EST
From:      trager@wrair-emh1.army.mil
To:        "questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Stupid Compatibility questions

The Iris workstation I do all my development work on is being sent to some
twit in California so he and my division CO can 'video teleconference'.  In
other words, they want to play X-Tank (such are the privileges of rank).
Therefore, I am looking for a unix variant that I can install and run on one
of the myriad PC's here.  FreeBSD has come highly reccommended to me and
looks very impressive from the information I have received about it, but
there are a few questions about it that I haven't found answers to in the FAQ
or other documents I have.

1.      I want to install it on a Pentium with an Enhanced IDE controller,
        three Conner 1.2GB EIDE drives, and an IDE CD-ROM drive.  Will your
        operating system be able to use all three hard drives and the
        CD-ROM?  Additionally, will you OS support hard drive partitions
        above 500 MB?

2.      I have been told I can only install a new OS on one of the division
        machines if it can exist simultaneously with the copy of Windows95
        currently on the machine (I HATE Windows95).  This way other people
        in the division will still be able to use the machine and it won't
        be 'wasted' on the Unix OS.  Is there a tool similiar to the OS/2
        boot manager for your operating system that will allow both
        both operating systems to exist on the same machine?  If so, will
        the Windows partitions still be visible to the FreeBSD OS when
        running FreeBSD and vice versa?  The different operating systems
        do not have to be on the same partition.

3.      I know your OS supports TCP/IP.  Does it also support Novell Netware
        and/or the Windows for Workgroups protocol?

Thank you for your time in answering what are probably stupid questions.  I
look forward to receiving your reply.